On January 12, 2014, IW Nashville's Opening Night Reception kicks off the expo and 3-day educational program. IW's new expanded schedule gives you more bang for your buck. Why not arrive early and stay later to obtain additional training and certification. More pre-conference course offerings have been added this year. Pre-conference training will begin on Saturday, January 11 with additional courses offered on Sunday, January 12. The post-conference course Commercial Building Inspections will be held again on January 16, 17 and 18.
- Registration to a pre-conference course does not include access to the 3-day IW education program January 13-15, 2014.
- Each pre-conference course has its own separate tuition.
- Tuition for courses held on Sunday, January 12th includes: continental breakfast (served 7:00 a.m.-8:00 a.m.), lunch hour “on-your-own” with dining options nearby in the hotel, and complimentary admission to the Expo Hall Opening Night Reception (5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.).
- On-line registration begins September 1, 2013.
Saturday, January 11th, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (8-hours)
- FORTIFIED Home™ Certified Evaluator Course Training to be provided by the FORTIFIED Home™ Training Program Administrator, Architectural Testing, and IBHS. Certified Home Evaluators provide essential inspection and documentation services to homeowners seeking to make their homes stronger, safer and more durable in the face of specific natural hazards. Approved for 8 ASHI CEs.
9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (16-hours)
- •Electrical Inspection of Existing Dwellings presented by Douglas Hansen
An exciting two-day program for inspectors, Douglas Hansen, principal author of the Code Check series of field guides, will use the newest edition of Electrical Inspection of Existing Dwellings as a guide to locate the specific NEC sections that apply to home inspections and will explore many topics in depth, including grounding and bonding, panels, AFCIs, GFCIs and special equipment. Approved for 16 ASHI CEs. (Add more education sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday with Single-Day (6 CEs) Registrations).
Sunday, January 12th, 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. (4-hours)
- HomeInspectIR™ Training presented by
Peter Hopkins, Level III Certified Infrared Thermographer
Back by popular demand - Hands-on training for students wanting to learn about the use of infrared thermography in insulation, HVAC, moisture and electrical inspections. Cameras will be used to look at test set-ups for each application. Approved for 4 ASHI CEs.
- The HVAC Certificate Course presented by Kenny Hart, ACI and Mike Casey, ACI
Comprised of lectures throughout the day by two nationally recognized instructors, the course includes up close examination of numerous HVAC exhibits that will be on-site during the class. Focus will be on gas furnace operation, installation and field inspection as well as
air conditioning and heat pump systems. System components are shown and their function is explained
in detail. Approved for 8 ASHI CEs.
Thursday, Friday and Saturday, January 16th, 17th and 18th, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (24-hours)
- Commercial Building Inspection Course presented by Richard Weldon, P. Eng.
During this popular three-day course, a professional engineer will teach students all they need to know to get a commercial inspection business up and running. Commercial inspections can generate up to 80% more revenue than residential inspections in an equivalent amount of time. Registration and payment for this course will be handled through the ASHI School website www.theashischool.com. Tuition includes a textbook, as well as sample inspection reports, consultant reports, and information on quoting inspections, report writing, costing and relevant business issues. Approved for 24 ASHI CEs.
For more information visit: http://www.homeinspector.org/email_documents/nashville_iw2.pdf
ASHI InspectionWorld - Nashville January 12-15, 2014
Education Program Schedule - by Day
Select one session to attend from five sessions offered at each class time indicated. Please be prompt.
Note: Schedule begins and ends earlier on Wednesday.
Monday, January 13, 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- Basic Electric 2014 - Don’t Be Shocked - Bryck Guibor, ACI and Harris Breit, ACI
- Code Official - Paul Andreassen, ACI
- Combustion Safety Testing - Steve Wisdom, ACI
- Electrical Theory - Mike Twitty, ACI
- Home Inspector / Realtor Relationship, Kimberly
- Understanding and Inspecting Hydronic (Boiler) Heating - Tom Feiza, ACI, P.E., BSME
- To be Safe or Not to be Safe, That is the Question -
Jim Nemastil, ACI and Marko Vovk, ACI
- Menace in the Mechanicals - Jeffrey C. May
- The Benefits of Becoming a Lead Dust Sampling Technician - Chuck Faigle
- Keys to Successfully Manage a Home Inspection Business - Howard Snyder
- Recognizing Structural Warning Signs - Todd Duncan, P.E.
- EIFS, Stucco and Stone Update - Peter Engle, ACI, P.E.
- Attic and Crawlspace Ventilation - Joe Konopacki
- ASHI Standard Pre-Drywall Inspections - Bruce Barker, ACI
- Social Media Marketing for Home Inspectors - Nathan Thornberry
- What the Heck is That? Components found during an
Inspection - Mike Casey ACI
- Inspecting Metal Plate Connected Wood Trusses &
Engineered Wood Products - John Bouldin, PE
- Rules for Water Heaters - Steve Wisdom, ACI
- Fortified Home Evaluations: An Introduction - Bill York
- Risk Management for Home Inspectors - Vince Tecce, ACI
- Flat Roofs - Gerry Aubrey, ACI
- Inspecting Old Houses-Why They Don’t Build Them Like They Used To - David Rushton, ACI
- Residential Energy Code Inspections (IECC 2012) - Jim Hemsell, ACI
- Taking the Mystery out of Manufactured Homes - Jeff Donaldson, ACI
- Move Your Business to the Next Level (7 Levels of Communication) Scott Warga, ACI
- Understanding and Resolving Foundation Issues - Shannon Cory, ACI
- Deadly Differences - Ionization vs. Photoelectric Smoke Alarms - Skip Walker, ACI
- Indoor Air Quality Testing During a Home Inspection - Martin L. Spartz, Ph.D.
- Pool and Spa Inspections - Stephen Gladstone, ACI
- Using Integrated Inspection Technologies to Make You More Money - Dominic Maricic
- Heat Pumps and Dual Fuel Systems - Kenny Hart, ACI
- Inspection of Decks - John Bouldin, Ph.D.
- Inspecting with all Your Senses - Howard Maxfield, ACI
- Reserve Fund Studies - Diversify Today! - Richard Weldon, P.E.
- Improved Report Writing Improves Your Business - Miki Mertz, ACI
- Crawl Space & Floor Structure Defects: Recognition, Causes and Cures - Samuel Wood, ACI, P.E.
- Inspecting a Tile Roof - Moderate Climate, Snow and Cold, High Winds/Florida - John Jensen
- Residential Moisture Intrusion, Building Science, and Forensic Investigation - Jim Nemastil, ACI and Marko Vovk, ACI
- How to Deal with Mold in Houses You are Inspecting - Frank Libero, ACI
- Tax Strategies for the Self-Employed Home Inspector - Maine Shafer, JD
- Proper Installation of Sewer, Plumbing Vent and Water Heater - Daniel McLaughlin
- Chimney Inspections per the NFPA 211 - John Pilger
- Wind-Resistant Construction Inspection - Mark Cramer, ACI
- Radon Health Effects, Sources, Measurement Methods and Testing Protocols - Andreas George
- Turn Your Website into a Call-Generating Machine - Dominic Maricic
CURRENT ASHI MEMBERSHIP
ASHI Certified Inspectors: 3,405
Retired Members: 114
ASHI members JD Grewell and his son-in-law, Sean Troxell, on the job site. JD and Sean work for JD Grewell & Associates, Silver Spring, MD.
The ASHI Family Photos
Do you have a family member who is also an ASHI home inspector? A son? A nephew? A brother-in-law? A sister? If so, then send us a photo of the two of you together for the ASHI Reporter along with your names, locales and company names so that we can include you in an upcoming issue. Please email your photos to our graphic designer, Arlene Zapata, at
Nominating Committees Invite Members to Submit Their Names for Consideration
2014 Officers: The Officers Nominating Committee will accept matrices from ASHI Certified Inspectors (ACIs) who would like to be slated by the committee for an officer’s position for 2014.
ACIs interested in being a candidate for the office of president-elect, vice president, secretary or treasurer are invited to download the ASHI 2014 Officer Nomination Matrix from: http://www.homeinspector.org/membersonly/downloads/listing.aspx and follow the directions for submitting it.
2014 Directors: Each year five new ACIs and an alternate are elected to the Board of Directors by the Council of Representatives. Requirements for being considered are covered on the ASHI 2014 Director Nomination Matrix. ACIs who would like to be slated should download the form from: http://www.homeinspector.org/membersonly/downloads/listing.aspx and follow the directions for submitting it.
To review the nominating and election policies and procedures, read the ASHI Policy and Procedures Manual, section 15.
Get More Bang for Your Buck - New Affiliate Levels
We’ve been working hard to find more ways in which to get your name out in front of our members. As an Affiliate Member, we provided a few ways in which you could do just that. Though we’ve decided to take it a step further with more opportunities than ever before to reach our ASHI members.
Instead of just the Affiliate Basic and Affiliate Gold levels, we’re now offering three distinct levels: Affiliate Bronze ($1,000), Affiliate Silver ($2,000), and Affiliate Gold ($3,000).
Call or email us today for more information to Dave Kogan, Manager of Marketing & Business Development, at 847.954.3187 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Or feel free to contact Russell Daniels, VP of Membership, at email@example.com or Janet George at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Renew to Compete for Free IW Registration
You should have received your ASHI dues renewal notice in July. Plan to renew as soon as possible. The names of those who renew by September 1, 2013 will be placed in a drawing to receive one of three full registrations for InspectionWorld-Nashville. Details will be included with the dues notices.
Nominate Those Who Deserve Awards
The Phillip C. Monahon Award goes to an ASHI Certified Inspector who has made outstanding contributions to the society and the profession over a long period of time. Take some time to think about who might deserve the award this year, then download and submit the nomination form.
The John E. Cox Award is ASHI’s annual tribute to a member whose service to a chapter has been exemplary. If someone from your chapter deserves this award, download the form, discuss it with your chapter members and submit.
Nominations for both awards must be received by Oct. 1, 2013.
On June 13, 2013 the ASHI Board of Directors approved a dues increase of $25 for ASHI Certified Members. The last increase was over four years ago and costs have gone up significantly since then. The national average Cost of LIving Adjustment increase was approximately 11%. Fortunately, we’ve been able to hold down costs well below that. As always, we strive to give our members the biggest bang for the buck. Thanks for your understanding and continued support.